Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Its Official

We are moving on to IVF.  At my  RE appointment today we went over all that is to come.  In six weeks I will start birth control pills and take them for 10 days, Lupron for 10 days, Follistim  8-14 days. hCG shot, then egg retrieval 36 hours later.   O.K. if it weren't for reading all these blogs and message board posts I'm sure my jaw would have hit the floor when my RE mentioned taking the pill.  The last thing I would equate with getting pregnant is taking the pill.  I'll forever more look at it as a waste of countless dollars to prevent me (hahahahaha) from getting pregnant.  I could have taken that money, saved it up, invested it, and been able to pay for IVF.  Hindsight makes us wise!!

When she showed me the pictures of the blastocysts I started to get dreamy.  I could just imagine my little blastocysts developing in the petri plate.  All sweet and multi-cellular.  It is kind of fitting with me being a biologist that my own baby will be conceived in a lab, incubated, cultured.  It is what I do every day.  So I find it kind of cool.  And my doctor didn't mind me asking her all sorts of dorky embryology questions.  

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this.  I mean, I thought I would dread it.  Like it was the last hope or something.  But I really feel like this is going to work for us.  And I can't wait to get started.  

It also gives me approximately 6 weeks to get my butt in gear and lose some weight.  So in addition to the belly dancing, fertility yoga, and jogging with my #1kiddo Bailey (my dog), I will be actively dieting.  Nothing severe.  Just trying to go down 10lbs.  We'll see what happens.  But it will give me something else to focus on while I wait wait wait until I get to start the birth control pill.

21 comments:

Bella said...

How exciting!! You could be knocked up in a few months time!!! Good luck with the IVF cycle. I will be keeping tabs on you too. Thanks for your comments on my blog!

ICLW

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you! One thing that I've done on the Wii Fit that you don't need anything to do and it burns many calories is hula hooping. I noticed you mentioned belly dancing.... Just imagine you have 2 or 3 hula hoops and and do the motions to one direction for 90 seconds. Then stop. Go the other direction for 90 seconds and feel your abs, hips and thighs burn. Increase the amount of time over time.

Good luck with everything!

Cara said...

What a plan! You have a great focus and attitue. I can't wait to come back and find your pregnancy post!!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Best Wishes to you and so glad you are excited. I love your biologist clinical outlook, thanks for sharing. Visiting from ILCW and to quote the Terminator, "I'll be back" for hopefully Great News!!

alicia said...

yay! I am so glad you have a good feeling about this, I am realy hoping this is the answer for you!

Good luck with the weight lose! YOU CAN DO IT!!

J Sweet said...

I'm glad you are so excited and I hope this is it for you! I am also geeky about all things medical although I'm not a biologist. I always ask a zillion questions at the RE just out of interest.
Your workout regime sounds really fun! I need to do more yoga, and jogging with dog. I haven't tried belly dancing yet though!
Thanks for commenting on my blog - I did try doggie day care but found that there weren't any good facilities convenient to my job/home. And then Finn got bit on the ear there and they didn't handle it well. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making the decision! I think we may be closer to one soon too.

DrSpouse said...

Best of luck with the IVF (and the weight loss!)

(just returning your ICLW comment!)

Kate said...

That is so exciting! Good luck with the weight loss, I am sure you can do it!

ICLW

CappyPrincess said...

Best wishes on this journey.

ICLW

theworms said...

You are going to be cycling so soon. So exciting. Praying it brings you a sticky BFP!
GL with the new regime :) I need to get my butt in gear, so you will be my inspiration.

Ariella said...

It is kittylove from the nest.

Your OOP right? shot me an email as I know someone with left over meds who was talking about wanting to give them away.

kittylove516 at yahoo dot com

Erin said...

Here from ICLW. I am glad you have such a positive out look for the next step in your journey. I wish you all the best with your treatments.

SAHW said...

Good luck! It's exciting to be moving forward. I hope IVF works for you! And it's really good you get that time to lose that weight...I really regret wasting all the time I had and not losing any of the weight I needed to lose.

Momasita said...

Congratulations for taking that next step. I'm sure it's scary & exciting at the same time. Good luck with everything!

from ICLW

kateypie35 said...

Here from ICLW!

Wishing you all the best....very exciting to be moving ahead to IVF.

I did IVF too...feel free to write to me anytime if you have questions or just want to vent...

GOOD LUCK to you!
Kate

Anonymous said...

i think progress is always exciting...even when it's something huge like IVF. and how cool that you have a scientific perspective of the process. i try to ask those kinds of questions, but usually have to have a translation from my hubby with the medical background. GL with IVF!

ICLW

Michelle said...

How exciting! Congrats on taking the leap to IVF. Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

(ICLW)

Anonymous said...

congratulations on moving forward! sounds like you've got a busy 6 weeks full of activities to hopefully make time fly and maybe keep your mind off of IVF (a little bit). plus, who wouldn't love to get rid of 10 lbs.!

gl...looking forward to watching your progress.

kirke said...

I like the connection that you are a biologist and you are making this move. It's sweet. And I can imagine you are must feel more in control with the science talk. I always end up nodding my head and then walking out and asking my husband, "Now what did he say?"

Best of luck! It's just so nice to be moving towards something :)