Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So happy today

So I met with my new RE (reproductive endocrinologist) and it was great.  The place was really easy to find and clean and bright and airy.  And I love that everything is there.  They can do your labs there, do your ultrasounds, everything.  At the GYN, to get anything done I would have to run all round town with referrals in hand.  

So the doctor is this very sweet woman who explained everything really well and totally empathized with my situation.  She thought that it was a lot for someone my age to have had to go through two myomectomies (fibroid removal surgery) already.  And she did a quick ultrasound to check my lining and look at the uterus.  Unfortunately, she found 2 new fibroids.  However, they are small and in the muscle.  Not dipping into the uterus like my old one.  So they don't have to be treated.  However, she wants me to do a saline ultrasound to make sure that the divit (see previous posts for explanation on this), in my uterus is not a big deal.  If it is, I may have to do another hysteroscopy which I really really don't want to do.  If it isn't we will move forward to do IUI (intrauterine insemination) with clomid.  And I'm very excited and hopeful about doing the IUI.  It isn't too expensive and it increases our chance by 15%.  And because I heard all this success stories of women (mostly other nesties) getting pregnant with IUI I feel like maybe this is our best chance.  

I'm also happy because when she did my ultrasound she could tell that I had ovulated on the left side.  I was so relieved to hear that because fertility friend was telling my I hadn't ovulated.  I think my chart was harder for the program to analyze this month because clomid gave me hot flashes early in my cycle, so by the time I did ovulate it didn't look like a clear temp shift.  However, by my own scientific eye I knew that my significant temp dip and then rise was indicative of ovulation.  But when you don't see those lovely crosshairs it is easy to second guess yourself.  Anyway, since she could tell that I did indeed ovulate I don't have to get my cycle day 21 bloodwork today.  Yay.  I hate having my blood drawn.  

9 comments:

Alison said...

Glad to hear it Besty!!
--Alison (MyABCLife)

Ariella said...

I am glad you like RSC. Did I mention they were/are my clinic. DR Hinkley was my Dr and she is SUPER nice. I love her. I hope Clomid and IUI are the trick for you. Did you talk to them about Femara vs Clomid? I know Clomid is the go to drug for most but it has LOTS of s/e. Keep that in mind in case you get them.You can always switch to Femara.

GL girl! Sending you BFP from IUI #1 dust!

Stephanie said...

Yay for ovulation! I'm glad you like your new RE and things are going well. Sounds like she has a good plan in place to make sure things are ok. We got lucky and got pregnant with our first clomd IUI cycle, so there is a lot of hope that it can happen! I pray that it works for us again when we can try again.

Anonymous said...

Yay for good REs that have a good plan! I hope that clomid + IUI does the trick.

We have Angel Wings said...

I'm so glad that your RE appointment went so well.

I'm glad that she could tell you ovulated - I hate blood work too.

littlemonkey said...

I just wanted to say that I'm happy you had a great experience. Sometimes, it's nice to know that people really do have your best interest in mind and they'll do what it takes to help you out instead of making your life that much more difficult.

Erin said...

I think that our first plan of attack is Clomid with an IUI as well.
I know on the boards they stress that Clomid is not the wonderdrug, but it sure seems like its the first thing everyone tries.
Good luck to us in our next steps at the RE.
I'll be following up to see how things progress with you.

Nicky said...

Good luck with the clomid. Yes, it doesn't do everything for everybody, but it does solve certain problems really well. (Worked for me....) But holy cow, it does screw up your temps (among other things!). Glad the RE was able to put your mind more at ease about ovulating!

Garage Renovation Clarksville said...

Great reead